Monday, May 21, 2012

Maui Ribs and Mac & Cheese

Tonight we had a great meal together, it is a holiday here in Canada, Victoria Day so it was a nice day to do little things around the house and read this book which I am having a hard time putting down, I was even reading at the counter while dinner was cooking.  The Headmaster's Wager is the first book that I am reading on my Kobo Vox as well, I love it.

So I marinated flanked cut short ribs for four days, recipe following.  Broiled them in the oven, turning once.

And they turned out amazing.  Tender and flavourful.  We love Maui Ribs but are horrified at the price of the name brand ones.  After tinkering a recipe I found online we are now able to have them more often.  The only problem is that I can't find this cut of ribs and look for them when I am out of town on one of my stocking up trips.  These freeze very well in the marinade and cook on a grill great which make this a great camping item as well.  When grilling they can burn easily due to the sugar content, so keep a watchful eye one these when cooking then on the grill.

Maui Rib Marinade

1 cup Soy Sauce
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup Cider Vinegar
4-5 Garlic Cloves
1/4 Sesame Oil
2 cups Brown Sugar

Combine all ingredients and marinate flanked cup short ribs (Korean Style) for up to 4 days.

Grill or broil, due to high sugar content, they will burn quickly if heat is too high.  No need to baste meat, discard marinade.

Enjoy, they are awesome.

Tonight I also made Mac & Cheese with the Wolfgang Puck 1.5 Cup Versacooker.



This is a favourite of my daughter's and I just needed another lil'something to go with dinner.  The recipe is one from the little booklet that comes with the unit.  We have not made anything else with it but I use it for brown rice tomorrow.

 So simple to make, I forgot to time it but will next time.
 Comes out with a little crust on the bottom which is nice.

Just the right amount for a small family to try a little, will post how to is with cooking brown rice tomorrow.

Have a great week everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment