Monday, April 29, 2013

Yummy, yummy Chicken Noodle Soup

I have had this cookbook for awhile and all the recipes that I have tried from have been very very good.  My daughter asked for Chicken Noodle Soup and I knew I just had to make the one in this book.


I knew it would be time consuming to make it all in one go since I was going to be making the stock to, so I made the stock while I was making dinner last night so it cold cool in the fridge.

The recipes are basic but the one thing different for me was I had never used leeks before.  Crazy I know but I just always got them mixed up with fennel and never got around to trying them.

The stock was easy, bought whole chicken to simmer in water then added the veggies and spices.  One large leek, 2 onions, 4 carrots, 4 stalked celery, 6 sprigs of parsley, 6 sprigs of fresh thyme, 10 peppercorns and 2 teaspoons salt.


 After it was brought up to a boil, heat was lowered to keep stock at a low simmer, skimming off any fat from top.  After it simmered for an hour, remove from heat and take out chicken into bowl.  Let cool till you can separate the meat from bones and skin.




To strain the stock it is very important to use cheesecloth that has been damped and placed in a colander.  This really helps to have a nice clear stock.




The amount of chicken you will get from one chicken is about 4 cups.  And about 16 cups of stock.  I refrigerated the stock and chicken.  Before I started the soup the next day I removed the solidified fat from the top of the stock.



So I was very glad to have the stock and chicken ready to go at dinner time today.  Only had to chop the veggies really.  Here is what I needed for the soup.


In the stock pot I added one large leek (white only), 3 stalks of celery, 3 carrots and 2 tablespoons of olive oil.


After I cooked the veggies until soft, about 5 minutes I added 7 and a half of chick stock, 4 cups of chicken, 2 bay leaves and 1/4 teaspoon of dried thyme.  Bring to a boil over medium high heat.

When it has been brought up to a boil, stir in the 1/2 lb of egg noodles and cook just until noodles are tender, about 10 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper and serve.



A very nice dinner for a cold spring day, since we were have a spring snow fall, not funny.
Can't wait to try more recipes from this book.  All simple ones, tasty and comforting.  Happy eating everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment